Subject: Re: Parallel port control?
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@ece.utexas.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/30/1998 11:20:17
Jukka Marin wrote:

> Is it possible to freely control the pc parallel port pins under NetBSD
> in a special application?  I want to use some pins for inputs, some for
> outputs.  Is it necessary to write a custom device driver for this?

  No, you can muck around with the parallel port's device
registers in ordinary (setuid) programs/processes.  Look at the
man page for i386_get_ioperm.  Other people on this list have
experience with this and the parallel port -- hopefully they'll
chime in also!

  Brian
--
Brian Grayson (bgrayson@ece.utexas.edu)
Graduate Student, Electrical and Computer Engineering, UT at Austin