Subject: Re: UVM/PMAP_NEW on i386 panics
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@ikpd10.ikp.kfa-juelich.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/29/1998 19:37:35

> Has anyone tried UVM/PMAP_NEW on a 386 ?  When I tried it I got a
> panic 'no init' after booting.

I can confirm this bug.
>From some DDB single stepping, it looks as follows:
-main() calls start_init()
-start_init() copies out the path to init and calls sys_execve()
-sys_execve() calls namei() with the UIO_USERSPACE flag set
-namei() calls copyinstr(); this returns an empty string in the
  return buffer and a return length of 1 which makes namei() return
  ENOENT

I can't look further at the moment because I don't have any
-current sources. (My NFS server died last week, I only
had a boot floppy which I made before. Don't try to reply
to the account I'm sending from - it's an emergency system.)

best regards
Matthias