Subject: Re: PCMCIA NE2000 clones
To: None <groo@guinness.cs.stevens-tech.edu>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/28/1998 14:14:59
> I found my original documentation, which is essentially useless
> as far as NetBSD goes.  It isn't recognized by the INSTALL
> kernel, so I figure I'm SOL with it.
>
> My second choice is a LinkSys NE2000 clone PCMCIA card.  I've
> found it for as little as $68, so I figure it's not a bad
> investment.  Can anyone verify that it works with the PCMCIA
> ne* driver?  CDW lists it as mfgr. part number "LNK-EC2T", and
> the text blurb bills it as
>
> "...And it's Novell NE2000 compatible, so you don't
>  have to worry about finding the right network drivers..."
>
> Anyone currently using one of these or forsee any reason why it
> wouldn't work?

It is conceivable (as Jason Thorpe answered) that the card is
sufficiently compatible that it will work after a minor tweak is
done to the driver.  Take a look in /sys/dev/pcmcia/if_ne_pcmcia.c
and note the section near the top which is #if 0'ed and which starts
with the comment

    /* the rest of these are stolen from the linux pcnet pcmcia device
       driver.  Since I don't know the manfid or cis info strings for
       any of them, they're not compiled in until I do. */

from searching, I can't seem to find either "New" or "Media" as
strings, but that doesn't have to mean that it can't work.

You could compile a kernel with PCMCIAVERBOSE (not sure if that is
required, although it would probably help) and pop the card in and
note down both the strings emitted and the product and manufacturer
IDs.  You could then install a new entry in the ne2000devs[] table
by following the established pattern and check if it can work after
that modification.  Especially if you already have the New Media
card in hand and would have to buy another this would probably be
worthwhile.

- H=E5vard