Subject: Re: RFC: My fd* wish list :)
To: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@ece.utexas.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/26/1998 16:18:30
Matthias Drochner wrote:

> Note that there are only 7 formats defined in the floppy
> driver's table. Minor 0 is already the "boot-up" format.
> (This means, what you describe in your PR is "intended
> behaviour" if I got it correctly.)

  Oops.  I miscounted.  Ack.  :(  Close the PR.

> I fully agree that we need more formats, or even a user
> definable format slot. But I wouldn't hack the existing
> fd driver beyond recognition - it should be more or less
> rewritten, split into controller and drive parts and made
> as machine independant as possible.

  I took a peek at the FreeBSD driver, and they have support for
1720K and a few other formats, floppy-tape support,
82-cylinder support, and non-512-byte sector support.  So that
driver would be a good start.

> It only needs somebody to do it...

  I'll think about it.  It'll definitely have to wait until this
summer, if no one else volunteers.

  Brian
--
Brian Grayson (bgrayson@ece.utexas.edu)
Graduate Student, Electrical and Computer Engineering