Subject: Re: Emulation
To: Ice <ice@icsnet.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/23/1998 10:40:04
On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, Ice wrote:

: I was wondering if anyone had some information on emulation. I was
: intrested in installing some packages made for FreeBSD and some rpm's for
: linux.

See the man pages:

man compat_linux
man compat_freebsd

That tells you about everything you need to know for setting up the
emulations.  However, you should also consider using the pkgsrc system that
NetBSD has, for natively created binaries that don't have the overhead of
emulation.  It is available via sup or ftp
(ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/pkgsrc.tar.gz).  The
pkgsrc system, which extracts under /usr/pkgsrc, is based on the FreeBSD
ports/packages system, and has a lot of the things you're looking for
already (including a linux_lib package).