Subject: applets
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/23/1998 11:32:34
I was wondering whether anyone can shed some light on .. CLASSPATH !
Yes, I have read the faqs! But I think I am getting confused between
netscape's and java's requirements.

I am running netscape 4.04
communicator-v404-export.x86-bsdi-bsd2.tar.gz which needs a CLASSPATH
of $MOZILLA_HOME/java/classes/java40.jar, and have not noticed any
problems so far while browsing.

I have installed Simon Gerraty's version of jdk1.1.5 which is happy
with CLASSPATH being unset, .java_wrapper seeming to do the right
thing. I can compile and run a java application with it. I can compile
an applet and view it with the applet viewer.

What I can't do is compile an applet and view it under netscape. With
CLASSPATH unset, netscape gives a Segmentation fault, and with
CLASSPATH set to MOZ... as above I get "Starting java" through to
"Document Done". The ordinary text of the page appears, but the
stunning breakthrough of an applet that is meant to paint "Hello
World" doesn't appear to be executed.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Cheers,

Patrick