Subject: Re: Problems I had with a full userland build (1.3.1)
To: Kevin Cousins <kevinc@obelix.premium.com.au>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/23/1998 11:32:53
On Apr 23, Kevin Cousins wrote

> Feeling a little daring the other night, I applied the 1.3.1 source
> patches to my 1.3 source tree, then did "make -k" in /usr/src.  Until
> then, I was a userland-build virgin :)
> [...]
> Now:
>
> a. Did I do any stupid thing(s) which caused those four breakages, or
>    is/are there some simple thing/s that I might have missed which
>    would have avoided the problems?

Well, you should have run a 'make build' instead of just 'make'.
make build will:
    - install includes (runs 'make includes')
	- build and install libraries (runs 'make all install' in src/lib and
	  src/gnu/lib)
	- build and install the rest of the stuff.
I think most of your problems comes from /usr/include being not in sync
with your source tree. The extra gdb dir needs to be removed by hand.

> b. Has anyone else seen problems similar to these with the NetBSD/i386
>    1.3.1 patches?

Well, I've build 1.3.1 from 1.3 sources+patches on i386 and sparc,
didn't have such problems. But I used 'make build'.
Well, maybe I had the gdb extra dir problem, I can't remember. I also had
this problem when upgrading to -current.