Subject: Re: Mouse problems
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@tmonline.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/20/1998 07:50:24
If you read the xfree86 FAQ for NetBSD, it says you have to specifically
configure for the BusMouse protocol (option 3 in xf86config).

I found that only after spending hours trying all the other options.  :9

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Brad Salai wrote:

> I've put together my first i386 system, and installed NetBSD, and am
> enjoying the speed.
>
> Problem is, it can't find the mouse. I got the X distribution, and at first
> had some problems that were fixed by changing /etc/XFree86Config to look
> for a PS/2 mouse and /dev/mouse. I got the X configuration program from
> xfree86.org, and there is a mouse configuration section, but nothing
> produces cursor movement.
>
> The dmesg has nothing in it that would suggest that a mouse is seen at boot
> time.
>
> Unfortunately, this system has never run anything else, so I'm not sure if
> there is a hardware problem, or a software problem, or just a configuration
> problem.
>
> Any ideas on what to check?
>
> Brad
>
> Stephen B. Salai                            Phone (716) 325-5553
> Cumpston & Shaw                             Fax    (716) 262-3906
> Two State Street                            email bsalai@tmonline.com
> Rochester, NY 14614

| Paul Goyette      | Public Key fingerprint:    | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |