Subject: Internal modems?
To: 386BSD-list <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/17/1998 18:26:28
Hello again...

I've checked the FAQs, and couldn't find much help on internal modems,
other than that they should show up as a normal COM port.  But ...

I've got a US Robotics Internal modem that I'd like to get working on
NetBSD/i386, but I can't seem to figure out how.

First, the configuration info (from dmesg):
	pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0: configuration mode 1
	pci0: i/o enabled, memory enabled
	pcib0 at pci0 dev 7 function 0
	pcib0: Intel 82731AB PCI-to-ISA Bridge (PIIX4) (rev. 0x01)
	isa0 at pcib0
	com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4: ns16550a, working fifo
	com1 at isa0 port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3: ns16550a, working fifo
	isapnp0 at isa0 port 0x279: read port 0x203
	isapnp0: <U.S. Robotics Inc. Sportster 560, USR2070, , > port
		0x3e8/8 irq 5 not configured

(other parts of dmesg output snipped for brevity)

	com1: com_iflush timeout ff

(This last line is repeated several times at the end of the autoconfig
messages.)

Despite the fact that NetBSD autoconfig found two COM ports in addition
to the USR Modem, Win-95 only claims to have one COM port;  it says that
the modem is at COM2.

I've tried to use ``cu'' to attempt to send an AT string to both
/dev/tty00 and /dev/tty01 but with no luck.  When I try tty00, cu gives
me a "write error" as soon as I type a character;  tty01 just echoes
everything I type.

Is there any hope for using this modem under NetBSD?

| Paul Goyette      | Public Key fingerprint:    | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |