Subject: Re: Intel EtherExpress Pro/100 ISA NIC: which kernel driver to use?
To: Ruibiao Qiu <ruibiao@arl.wustl.edu>
From: John C. Hayward <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/16/1998 23:22:17
Dear Rubiao,
   I have an Intell EtherExpress Pro/100 ISA.

My experience with 1.3 NetBSD i386 was that I could probe the card if I
in dos configured it to a particular irq and io memory place as a iy
device and configured the kernel to the correct irq and io.  (not
PnP).  The configuration file I pulled off of the web from the intel
site.

In the probing the kernel complained about some invalid IRQ but
it seemed to ignore it in that I could tell it to change media
(via Link1,2 - note current has this changed to use media names)
I could not however see packets going out on the network.  I turned on
the IYDEBUG flag and noticed that packets seemed to get to the point
they seemed to be going out but the interupt associated with the
transmission completed never seemed to be seen.

The card works as advertized in Win-95.

I upgraded from 1.2G because there was support for this card
in 1.3 so it may be the case of a new driver.  In looking at
the current code it did not seem significantly changed except
for the media options.

In a previous note no one seemed to have ideas why I was having problems.
johnh...