Subject: Re: Raid: DPT SmartCache IV (PM2044UM) PCI Drivers for NetBSD
From: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@cyberstation.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/16/1998 02:33:22
--------------516EB755014440A7B1A20D3F

gibbs@plutotech.com wrote:
> The "idiot" actually bought one of the highest performance SCSI adapters
> you can buy.  It's just unfortunate that nobody has been able to spend
> time porting the driver to NetBSD.
> Porting the FreeBSD driver will probably be easier than porting from ESDI.
> FreeBSD has a similar SCSI framework to NetBSD whereas BSDI wrote their
> own some time ago.

Greetings:

In desperation, I am attempting to port the FreeBSD drivers for the DPT
SmartCache IV (PM2044UM) PCI, Ultra-Wide SCSI Raid controller myself.
Although I am reasonable experienced with hacking NetBSD kernels, this
will be my first attempt at actually porting a driver.  Wish me luck, I
really need it!  Seriously though, if anyone has any suggestions or
assistance they could offer, I would be most grateful.  Are there any
driver HOWTO's or man pages that I should check out that might help me.

     BTW, the reason why I called the person who got the DPT controllers
an idiot, was that at my company the only Unix we support is NetBSD.  (Of
course, as a faithful NetBSD user, I had a hand in drafting that policy.)
Sure he might have bought the best SCSI RAID controller on the market, but
he is not the one who has to support this.  I AM!  And these cards are to
go into existing NetBSD servers, which are fully configured, and contain
lot of custom software.  And I have no desire to move everything onto
another OS, just to use the cards.  (The amount of time that would take
would likely be more than the cost of the cards, and I would end up being
in the mess of having to support more than one Unix OS.)  People have no
business buying hardware, which they have no intention of supporting.

Sorry for the ranting, I am still mad at the extra work that idiot caused
me.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions or assistance offered.

Sincerely, Alicia.
--------------516EB755014440A7B1A20D3F

begin:          vcard
fn:             Alicia da Conceicao
n:              da Conceicao;Alicia
org:            Cyberstation Inc.
adr:            121 Richmond Street West, Suite 1104;;;Toronto;Ontario;M5H-2G4;Canada
email;internet: alicia@cyberstation.ca
title:          VP of Technology
tel;work:       416-860-9378
tel;fax:        416-860-9380