Subject: Re: floating point exception
To: Jeffrey Goodwin <jeffg@osgroup.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/14/1998 11:59:26
"Jeffrey Goodwin" writes:
> Hi, I just installed NETBSD 1.3.1 off of the NET.

Could you explain more about your installation?

Was this machine previously running another version of NetBSD? When
you say you installed "off the net", did you use NFS? FTP? Were you
using the built in "sysinst" system?

> The install completed succussfully, and I rebooted.
>
> Then, I did a
>
> mount -a
> TERM=pc3 ; export TERM

If you rebooted and the system came up multiuser, why did you need to
do this? Am I correct in assuming it did not come up multiuser?

> cd /etc
>
> vi rc.conf
>
> Then I get
>
> Floating Point Exception - Core Dumped

Were you using the standard "GENERIC" kernel? When you finished your
mount, was /tmp mounted? was /var/tmp mounted?

> Is there a way I can load a diffrent kernel without re-installing ?

The kernel is simply a file named /netbsd in your root partition. If
you get a new kernel, you can simply copy it into place and reboot
(although it is advisable to save the old kernel.).

> I messed up the network configuration by accident on the last phase of
> the install ;(,

I believe you can re-run just that portion of sysinst if need be.

Perry