Subject: Re: Strange floppy problem booting 1.3
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/13/1998 09:00:20
On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Tim Rightnour wrote:

: Well, it's been a few years.. And I haven't had any problems with that in
: awhile..  now the other night I was installing 1.3 release on an old 486-66,
: and kaboom.. It blew up on the floppy probe.  It boots fine, gets down to the
: floppy probe and just wedges. It detects the existing drive fine.. but it
: wedges after detecting fd0. (The only drive in the machine)

I'm not totally sure whether it's the floppy probe that dies or not.
"ENOTENOUGHINFORMATION."  :)

- What is the manufacturer of the box?  Is it by chance a Dell or Gateway
  2000?
- Have you tried the 1.3.1, not 1.3, install floppy?  Those are now
  available and have several fixes.