Subject: Re: Setting up X
To: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/08/1998 02:03:48
>My video card does not seem to be listed in the Cards that xf86config
>knows about.  In fact, the card doesn't even get configured by the
>NetBSD kernel.  It's a STB Systems Velocity 128, with 4MB VRAM, is "AGP
>compatible" and sits on th PCI bus.

You can ignore the that NetBSD says it's "not configured" at boot time;
that just means that NetBSD doesn't really use it as a PCI card, just
as a dumb VGA card.  That's okay; the real magic is in XFree86.

>So, what do I need to do to get this card to work with X?  Do I need to
>write some sort of kernel driver for it?  And/Or some sort of X driver?
>And how do I go about determining all those "wierd" numbers that go in
>the ModeLines?

Good question.  At the very least, the generic SVGA driver should work.
I am guessing that the STB Velocity 128 is a S3-based card, so maybe
trying the S3 server is a good idea (it seems that other STB cards
are based on the S3 chipset, so it's not a bad guess :-) ).

Talking to the XFree86 people is probably your best bet.

--Ken