Subject: Re: kinit not asking for password?
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: None <glc5@cornell.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/07/1998 21:38:57
> > porter% kinit glc5
> > NetBSD Kerberos (porter)
> > Kerberos Initialization for "glc5"
> > kinit: Password incorrect
> >
> > I have /etc/kerberosIV/krb.conf set up, and I can see the
> > datagrams going to / coming from the kerberos server in
> > tcpdump. I checked my clock, it's synced to the kerberos
> > server. Why does it not bother to ask my password?
>
> It asks me for my password. I have no idea what's wrong with yours.
>
> All I can guess is that something's returning an incorrect error code;
> it's returning Password Incorrect when it shouldn't.
>
> Are all your libraries and binaries of the same vintage?
>
> Take care,
>
> Bill

Yep, it's all vanilla 1.3, straight off ftp.netbsd.org. Am I missing an
obvious configuration step? I created /etc/kerberosIV/krb.conf and put in
my realm and server (actually, it's not exactly the server. the bsd box
is behind a wingate proxy for the time being. I have udp port 750
proxied to the real kerberos server. so the bsd box has the pc listed as
the kerberos server. AFAICT, this is kosher, because tcpdump shows
traffic going through)... do I need anything else?

Oh, a neat feature of having krb.conf set up.. it prevents me from
changing my password. I think that its existence fools the system into
thinking I've a local kerberos setup.. any way around this?

I'm just setting up kerberos so that I might utilize the kerberized POP3
servers we have here.

Thanks in advance,
George