Subject: Re: [HELP] partitions and bootblocks
To: port-i386@NetBSD.ORG, David Hobley <davidh@wr.com.au>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/07/1998 19:23:34
Excerpts from netbsd: 7-Apr-98 Re: [HELP] partitions and b.. David
Hobley@wr.com.au (1655*)

> No, the boot manager (mrbooter) works fine. The problem is the partition
> that it is configured to use for NetBSD on my SCSI disc appears not to be
> bootable. It is using the correct partition (there is only one to choose
> from on that disc).

If it can boot without the IDE disk it is obviously bootable.
You really have to blame the boot manager for not recognizing it.
(To be honest, the PC was not designed to boot from a second
disk, and any boot manager trying it will be kind of hack.)

> Sorry, what I meant to say was: How do I create a NetBSD partition in one of
> these logical partitions so I can still access Win95 normally. The last time
> I tried this I wrote the disklabel over thw Win95 partition and lost
> everything ;-(

You need a _primary_ NetBSD partition entry. For this, you need a) space
and b) a free slot in the partition table.
You can use NetBSD's "fdisk", or the DOS "pfdisk".
It's simple in principle: make an entry in the partition table
which points to the free space. (In theory, 2 sectors are enough;
I'd give it at least a track.) Give it NetBSD's ID (165 for 1.3,
169 for -current). Then you should be able to set up a BSD
disklabel which points to your primary and/or extended DOS
partitions.
Have a backup, anyway.

best regards
Matthias