Subject: Re: [HELP] partitions and bootblocks
To: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
From: David Hobley <davidh@wr.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/07/1998 21:13:15
On Mon, Apr 06, 1998 at 01:08:33PM +0200, Matthias Drochner wrote:
> Excerpts from netbsd: 5-Apr-98 [HELP] partitions and bootb.. David
> Hobley@wr.com.au (1318*)
>
> > However, when I plugged my IDE
> > drive back in, the bootblocks no longer work (that is, when I select
> the NetBSD
> > partition from my boot manager, it tells me that disc is not bootable (and I
> > have to boot from floppy).
>
> That's a matter of the boot manager - which do you use?
> With the os-bs-2-beta, it should work (if it is installed
> correctly - you'll perhaps have to re-install it when a new
> disk or partition is added (?))

No, the boot manager (mrbooter) works fine. The problem is the partition
that it is configured to use for NetBSD on my SCSI disc appears not to be
bootable. It is using the correct partition (there is only one to choose
from on that disc).

> > Secondly - when I partitioned my IDE drive for Win95 I created 1 primary
> > partition and 2 logical partitions in an extended partition (I think that is
> > the correct terminology). Is it possible to disklabel this disc to access one
> > of those logical partitions under NetBSD ?
>
> Extended partitions and their contents are not shown in the
> default disklabel (what you get if there is no NetBSD partition
> on the disk). So you need a NetBSD partition to keep at least
> a disklabel.

Sorry, what I meant to say was: How do I create a NetBSD partition in one of
these logical partitions so I can still access Win95 normally. The last time
I tried this I wrote the disklabel over thw Win95 partition and lost
everything ;-(

--
Cheers,
david		-- http://www.angelfire.com/wa/hobley