Subject: RE: [HELP] partitions and bootblocks
To: David Hobley <davidh@wr.com.au>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/06/1998 04:52:42
On 05-Apr-98 David Hobley spoke unto us all:
# I have 2 discs, 1 SCSI, 1 IDE. When I installed NetBSD I unplugged the IDE
# drive (- call me paranoid, but, I wanted to be safe) and installed everything
# onto the entire SCSI disc. This works fine. However, when I plugged my IDE
# drive back in, the bootblocks no longer work (that is, when I select the
# NetBSD
# partition from my boot manager, it tells me that disc is not bootable (and I
# have to boot from floppy). My first question is:
#
# How can I write bootblocks onto one of my discs so that I can boot NetBSD
# up without a floppy - without destroying my Win95 partition on the IDE drive
# ;-)
#

>From the above it sounds like you have IDE==Windows and SCSI==NetBSD.. I'm
assuming windows boots fine, but BSD does not.  In that case use FDISK /MBR (in
dos) to write a master boot record to the scsi disk.

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html