Subject: Re: [HELP] partitions and bootblocks
To: port-i386@NetBSD.ORG, David Hobley <davidh@wr.com.au>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/06/1998 13:08:33
Excerpts from netbsd: 5-Apr-98 [HELP] partitions and bootb.. David
Hobley@wr.com.au (1318*)

> However, when I plugged my IDE
> drive back in, the bootblocks no longer work (that is, when I select
the NetBSD
> partition from my boot manager, it tells me that disc is not bootable (and I
> have to boot from floppy).

That's a matter of the boot manager - which do you use?
With the os-bs-2-beta, it should work (if it is installed
correctly - you'll perhaps have to re-install it when a new
disk or partition is added (?))

If you don't get it to work, possible workarounds are:
-disable the IDE in the BIOS if you want to run NetBSD
-use "dosboot"

> Secondly - when I partitioned my IDE drive for Win95 I created 1 primary
> partition and 2 logical partitions in an extended partition (I think that is
> the correct terminology). Is it possible to disklabel this disc to access one
> of those logical partitions under NetBSD ?

Extended partitions and their contents are not shown in the
default disklabel (what you get if there is no NetBSD partition
on the disk). So you need a NetBSD partition to keep at least
a disklabel.

best regards
Matthias