Subject: Re: 1.3.1 binaries? Why bother ...
To: Michael K. Sanders <msanders@aros.net>
From: Robert V. Baron <rvb@gluck.coda.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/28/1998 22:51:41
I too have asked about the 1.3.1 binaries a while back.  But for me
its too late.  We have converted 4 machines to 1.3 and will do a whole
slew soon.  Converting means lots of people have to rebuild their code
and I can't tell them surprise 1.3.1 is now here lets rebuilt again.

But that's not what I want to talk about.  1.3 sysinst simply does not
work reliably.  We all know this so I'll leave the gorry details till
later if anyone cares.  Now I'm more than willing to believe that all
these problems are worked out on 1.3.1; lots of us have helped to make
sysinst better.  But if noone has a 1.3.1 install floppy it really
does not matter.

Let me be specific at what did not work, and maybe this affects a
small enough base that we don't care.  I have some new machines with
a 4gig disk.  I partition magic the NT stuff down to 2Gig.  I want to
load netbsd on the remaining 2Gig.  There is no BSD label on the disk.
sysinst will eventually give me two geometry options:
	8896 by 255 by 63		and
	8896 by 15 by 63
The second one is the true disk geometry, but is NOT what I want it to
use.  I want a set of numbers that is compatible with what BIOS and NT
are using; they believe the disk is 552 by 255 by 63.  I fiddled
around for a while and blew away NT on one machine.  Eventually, I got
out my old faithful 1.2 install floppies.  Did a 1.2 install to the
point where it wrote out a disklabel; my disklabel is 2610 by 51 by 63.
Then I used the 1.3 install do a nice, clean, simple install using the
disklabel geometry.  If I didn't have a 1.2 floppy and know a lot about
what was going on, I would have given up.