Subject: Re: Serial console
To: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/19/1998 10:53:23
On Thu, 19 Mar 1998 Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no wrote:

> I just finished setting my machine up with a serial console.  I
> did not manage to convince the boot code that I had a serial
> console, though, even though I tweaked
> /sys/arch/i386/stand/biosboot/Makefile and added
>
> CPPFLAGS+= -DSUPPORT_SERIAL
> CPPFLAGS+= -DDIRECT_SERIAL
> CPPFLAGS+= -DCONSPEED=19200
>
> Isn't that all it should take?

One would think. Unfortunately, there's this statement

    initio(CONSDEV_PC);

at line 226 of main.c, near the beginning of main(). Change that
to CONSDEV_COM0. Examining the initio() routine (starting at line
91 of stand/lib/pcio.c) will provide insight into what's actually
going on here.

This whole setup seems sort of bogus to me. I'm not convinced of
the usefulness of the `select console by where you first see input'
model. I'd rather see defines that let you turn on the various
console devices in the boot block and have it use *all* of those
devices as console--that is, always send output to all of those
devices, and accept input from any of them. Even if we don't update
the kernel to do this, it would still be very handy for the
bootblocks.

I might even find some time to do this at some point....

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite mist, software reverberates