Subject: Re: netscape 4 on NetBSD 1.3
To: Christoph Badura <bad@ora.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/18/1998 12:47:37
On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Christoph Badura wrote:

: >Does Java run for you?  I had problems varying between crashes and
: >simply nothing happening.
:
: Java works for me just fine with the BSDI 1.1 binaries of Navigator 4.04.
: The BSDI 2.1 binaries can't start Java, but I haven't looked into this yet.

I wonder if there's really any benefit (point?) in running the BSDI 2.x
binary instead of the BSDI 1.x one, when the latter is much closer to what
NetBSD originally grew out of (4.3BSD Net/2) than the former.  If the 1.1
binary works, why are people so adamant about using the 2.1 binary?

(If we had an official COMPAT_BSDI, this could be a completely different
question....)