Subject: Re: Unable to umount an NFS disk
To: None <laine@MorningStar.Com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/15/1998 10:56:40
On Sun, Mar 15, 1998 at 01:40:46AM +0000, Laine Stump wrote:
> We've been seeing a similar problem here as well. Occasionally a
> machine will lose sight of an NFS server, and just about everything on
> that machine will become locked, requiring us to whack the reset
> button (not nice on machine used by >10 people). Usually this happens
> for no apparent reason (the server isn't down, is on the same segment
> of ethernet, and isn't at all busy), but it also happens when the
> server does go down; when that happens, any machine that attempts to
> get something from its disk before it comes back up gets hosed.

In my case, the NFS server machine locked up and was rebooted by a
hardware watchdog.  I believe the NFS client problems began after
this.

I see "NFS server not responding" / "NFS server OK" messages every now
and then without any obvious explanation, but these have never caused
a problem like this before.

> We're using amd, and I've been figuring that amd doesn't propogate the
> low level equivalen of "NFS server xxx is ok" back up through its
> little quasi-NFS servers. Basically, once they think the server is
> down, they think it's down forever until you reboot.

I'm not using amd, so amd is not the cause..

Anyway, it's pretty annoying to have to reboot a machine because of
this.  (The is the machine that used to crash every few days after I
brought it to 1.3 - I'm afraid it will start crashing again if I
reboot it.)  Well, I guess there's no other way but to reboot..

  -jm