Subject: Re: isapnp not found
To: None <simons@rhein.de>
From: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/12/1998 01:35:57
>From: Peter Simons <simons@rhein.de>
>Date: 11 Mar 1998 01:01:31 +0100

>I just tried to get my kernel to recognize the isapnp device but
>without any success. I have enabled about any option in the kernel
>config that seemed to have at least remotely something do to with
>this, but it didn't work. The generic kernel doesn't recognize it
>either -- and yes, my board -does- have PnP and it is enabled in the
>BIOS.
>
>Is it possible that the kernel simply doesn't recognize it on my
>hardware?

isapnp isn't really a 'bus' the way PCI and ISA are.  PnP devices are
a subset of ISA devices which must be configured via a standard
protocol before they become visible on the bus (devices required for
system boot are exceptions to this rule).  The way the isapnp probe
works is that it actually goes out and looks for PnP devices.  If it
doesn't find any, then the probe fails (this behavior is mandated by
the semi-bizarre protocol that PnP defines for accessing PnP config
space).  If you have no PnP devices installed in your system, then
that's probably why you never see a line for isapnp0 when you boot.

If you do have PnP devices installed, please add the line

options DEBUG_ISAPNP

to your kernel config file, then reconfig, rebuild, & reboot.  You
should get quite a few debug messages; please send them along to the
list.
--
Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>                http://www.shore.net/~mikel