Subject: Re: Some questions about UVM
To: None <ikhala@osibisa.cl.msu.edu>
From: Chuck Cranor <chuck@dworkin.wustl.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/10/1998 09:44:02
>Hello ... :)  I would like to know about the following:
>1) What is UVM?

UVM is a new virtual memory (VM) system.   there was a posting to
netbsd-announce from mrg@netbsd.org giving some high-level details
about UVM.  you can get it from the netbsd-announce list archive:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/mailing-lists/netbsd-announce/netbsd-announce.0015

it is the last message in the archive.

>2) Are there resources other than the source code to find out more about it?

well, for general background, the VM chapter of the 4.4BSD book and the
SunOS VM papers are useful (you can get the SunOS VM papers from
http://dworkin.wustl.edu/pub/chuck/sunvm/).

for UVM specific info, the source code is currently your best bet.
i am currently in the process of writing up the details of UVM, but
it isn't done yet.

if you or anyone else has specific questions about UVM, feel free to
send me e-mail.

>3) Is UVM port-i386 specific or is it included in the other platforms?

most of UVM is machine-independent.   it is currently running on the
alpha, hp300, i386, mvme68k, sparc, and vax ports.

note that the i386 port of UVM comes with a new pmap module ("pmap.new.c")
that is used if you set the PMAP_NEW option in your config file.

chuck