Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.3 wont probe my Miniscribe
To: Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU>
From: Diana <deichert@wrench.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/08/1998 19:00:19
On Sun, 8 Mar 1998, Nathan Gelbard wrote:

> I was trying to install NetBSD 1.3 on my (labeled Maxtor, probed as
> Miniscribe) drive:
>
> Miniscribe Corp 8051a, 40mb w/ 32kcache CHS=981,5,17
>
> NetBSD 1.3 (the boot floppy) probes the controller fine, but
> refuses to see the disk. Linux 2.0.34, found it right away and
> is still working great (ack).
>
> Any ideas why this would be?

First this is an "ancient" ide drive, circa 1989 - 1990.  There was
little in the way of standards back then for IDE.  I remember my Western
Digital drives not working with Miniscribe controllers and vice versa.
In fact there also were XT - IDE drives at that time.  We fried a few of
them trying to low - level format them, like we had to do to MFM & RLL
drives.  I learned that highly technical term "You've toasted that
drive" from Miniscribe's tech support after telling them we had low
levelled one.  Anyone remember "g=c800:5" at the DOS debug prompt? ;-)

If you are having spin up and down problems like you are descibing I'd
advise a different drive before you waste a lot of labor on this
install.

diana

Diana Eichert
IT Manager