Subject: Boca BB2016 vs. boca.c
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/27/1998 12:14:41
I may have myself totally confused now that I'm living in both the
NetBSD and FreeBSD kernels.  Hopefully someone can help clear the fog!

Here's what's happening.  We've got a couple of BB2016 boards here
installed in FreeBSD 2.2.5 boxes.  The other day we realized that the
top four ports were not working at all and P9-P12 were very slow.

Having noted there was an explicit boca driver in NetBSD I started
comparing the way things were done in it vs. the FreeBSD driver.

The first thing I noted was that the NetBSD boca driver configures the
first port of eight as the master port instead of the last one.

The second thing I noted was that the NetBSD driver treats the BB2016 as
if it were a pair of BB1008 boards, but on a shared interrupt.

I tried various combinations of these ideas in the FreeBSD config but
with only marginal luck (P11, which was failing the probe is now
successfully probed).

One disturbing thing we discovered though was that the interrupt
routines in both drivers only seem to read one byte, thus seemingly
making it impossible for the driver to manage either a shared IRQ or
more than 8 ports per device.  Am I missing something here?  Does NetBSD
actually do some unseen magic deeper behind the scenes to make the
shared IRQ work?

The most confusing thing has been that even if we disable (at boot using
FreeBSD's '-c' option) the lower 8 ports we still can't get the top four
ports to work, though P9-P12 finally work at full speed).

Has anyone actually tested all ports on a Boca BB2016 with the config
suggested in boca(4) under NetBSD????  (Note that you may have to start
at port 0x200 and be sure not to have LPT2 installed if you're using a
motherboard with on-board IDE -- 0x100 through 0x1f7 has too many
conflicts, and on the Asus P2L97 even with IDE disabled there's a
conflict somewhere at 0x170 that manifests itself as a probe failure for
one of the UARTs.)

(Also, the BB2016 doesn't even appear on Boca's web site since yesterday!)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets Of The Weird <woods@weird.com>