Subject: Re: Disklabel troubles with sysinst and 1.3
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christofer C. Bell <cbell@ukans.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/26/1998 14:39:33
Chris Jones wrote:
> Okay, so you're saying that, in order to do a fresh install of NetBSD on a
> disk, I should do approximately the following:
>
> 1) Run pfdisk or fdisk or something, to establish that NetBSD gets all of
> the disk except the first track of the first cylinder, and to find out
> what the MBR geometry is.

If the disk is fresh, you might consider partitioning and formatting a
DOS partition on the disk for a.) error checking and b.) the
establishemnt of a DOS MBR that NetBSD can use to get the geometry
information it needs.  You might be able to get away with not installing
an actual parition, but simply boot off of a DOS floppy that has the
fdisk command and run:

A:\>fdisk /mbr

This will install a clean DOS MBR that NetBSD can use to obtain the
geometry information it needs.  I have not tried this on a disk without
an existing DOS partition so your milage may vary.

--
Christofer C. Bell                      Information Systems Lead
Union Computing Services                email: cbell@ukans.edu