Subject: Booting from a SCSI drive?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/25/1998 12:09:30
Hi, all.

I'm curious if there's anything special to be done to get a SCSI drive to
be bootable. A friend of mine bought a Jaz SCSI controller, and we popped
it into his system. After fiddling around a bit (and discovering that Plug-
and-Play being enabled on the SCSI controller ended up resetting the SCSI
bus is a bad sort of way) we got things so that NetBSD could see the SCSI
drive he had. We did a full install, using a boot floppy and an EtherNet,
and things proceeded smoothly. However, when the system boots, it whirrs
and buzzes a bit, as normal, and then tells us there there's no operating
system to be had.

If, however, we pop in the NetBSD install floppy to boot, but instead of
booting from the floppy, tell it "boot sd0a:netbsd", it boots from the
hard disk without any problems.

This makes it seem like the boot blocks on the SCSI drive aren't set up
properly. I'm new enough to the i386 port that I don't really know how to
proceed here.

The raw facts, again: We're using the Iomega Jaz SCSI/ISA bridge to drive
a 400-meg HP SCSI disk. When booting from the floppy, we can see the disk.
We cannot, however, seem to boot straight from the drive. The system's BIOS
allows for SCSI disks, but telling it there's a SCSI disk doesn't help - nor
does telling it there's no disk installed.

Thanks for the help!

PS: Another quick question... Is there an easy way I can duplicate my boot
floppy? I don't have a DOS system easily available for use with rawrite, and
I'm not sure how to do it under NetBSD. (I can mount and unmount stuff, and
use tar with the floppy drive, but I've got no clue how to work with disk
images.)

--
Mason Loring Bliss...mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...www.webtrek.com/mason
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments