Subject: Sharing partitions...
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/20/1998 15:22:30
I'm wondering how feasible it would be to have a single machine
with a lot of disk space boot both BSD/OS and NetBSD; ideally, I'd like
to be able to share everything but the "core" filesystem - but for instance,
I want to have a shared /home, and most of my archives would be on this
machine, and I'd like that space shared too...

I'd be looking at about 9GB of EIDE drives, and a 6GB SCSI drive.
Unfortunately, both OS's have trouble with booting from the bottom of
a drive; what I'm thinking of doing is setting up a pair of dummy root
partitions on the beginning of one of the EIDE drives, with hackery
and kernel options to force using different parts of sd0 as root.

Does NetBSD have anything equivalent to BSD/OS's "boot.default", which
can specify things like root device, or do I have to build a custom
kernel?

I'm assuming that ccd and splice are incompatible ways of doing the same
thing... *sigh*.

(If anyone wants to know why, well, it's because I like both systems, for
different reasons, and I'm sort of curious to find out how well they share
in this context.  Also, I want to have the same machine for both source
trees, so I can compare them, and it's too much trouble to have multiple
machines with, say, a NetBSD source tree, or a BSDI source tree - so I
want to put them all on one box.)

(If anyone wants to know why I'm still using NetBSD if I can use BSD/OS,
or why I work for BSDI if I use NetBSD, go away.  I'm sick of people assuming
I have to pick sides.  They're both cool.  Cope.)

-s