Subject: Re: IMPORTANT: new partition ID
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/20/1998 09:55:13
"Chris G. Demetriou" writes:
> > > Can we expect a -current i386 snapshot sometime soon that supports it ?
> >
> > I will be building a -current snapshot as soon a UVM gets a bit more
> > stable.
>
> Uh, UVM is experimental right now, and probably will be for at least a
> while yet.  I'd say that it makes a _lot_ of sense to generate an
> i386 -current snapshot without UVM (but with the rest of the changes
> in -current), so that people can do the right things with their disks
> and not have to worry about UVMs possible instabilities (yet).

My problem is that I actually run my snapshots for a while before
releasing them to make sure they don't totally destroy people's
machines, and right now I'm running UVM. Backing out would be painful
because the userlands differ. (Indeed, you need a different userland
for UVM *and* PMAP_NEW, too!)

Given this, I'm only really in a position to produce UVM snapshots. I
was going to do a new one in about two weeks (once the rubble finished
bouncing).

> Yeah, sure, we want to get UVM tested, but like it or not people have
> to run -current on "stable-ish" machines, and they shouldn't _have_ to
> switch to UVM until it's known to be pretty stable.

That is one reason I intend to wait a little while longer.

Perry