Subject: Re: 2 newbie questions
To: Duncan McEwan <duncan@MCS.VUW.AC.NZ>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/19/1998 18:27:47
On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, Duncan McEwan wrote:

> > Note: The right order to do things is to start up cu, then do the stty,
> > then type something in cu.
>
> For "cu", I thought the right thing was to create a file in /etc/uucp
> called "port", containing something like
>
> 	port mymodem
> 		type modem
> 		device /dev/tty00
> 		speed 38400
>
> This tells cu that it has to do the appropriate clocal/-clocal processing
> itself.  Then you can either type "cu -l tty00" or "cu -p mymodem" to connect.

I'm not sure. I've only done simple UUCP configuring, mainly ending in
frustration. :-(

With the above, cu -p mymodem might work (would type modem set clocal for
the first bit of the connection?), but I doubt cu -l tty00 will work.
clocal needs to be set, and isn't by default in the setup originally
described (otherwise there'd have been no problem :-)

Given these problems, I'd suggest the original poster just set up ppp.
chat will certainly figure out if the modem's there. :-)

Take care,

Bill