Subject: Re: IMPORTANT: new partition ID
To: Brian Stark <bstark@siemens-psc.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/19/1998 09:01:47
On Thu, 19 Feb 1998 09:16:26 -0600 (CST)
 Brian Stark <bstark@siemens-psc.com> wrote:

 > I have 1.3/i386 installed, and when I upgrade my machine, I will simply
 > extract the files from the 1.4 (?) tar files. Does this mean that when I
 > boot a 1.4 kernel my system will be dead? I hope the COMPAT_386BSD_MBRPART
 > option will be a default option in the next release if this is the case.

Yes, this option will be on by default for at least one release.  You'll
be safe when upgrading to 1.4 :-)

 > Another thing I am wondering about, is why was this change necessary?
 > Does NetBSD want to have its own ID number, or is there new functionality
 > associated with this change?

With our own ID, it's now possible to have both NetBSD and FreeBSD on
one disk, useful for people who develop software that needs to run on
both platforms, for example.