Subject: Re: 3c509 at irq 3
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/19/1998 08:59:58
On Thu, 19 Feb 1998 15:50:06 +0100
 Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr> wrote:

 > I don't think NetBSD has ever handled shared IRQ on ISA, as this is not
 > fully supported by the bus. Shared IRQ on PCI works fine, however.

The software _does_ allow shared IRQ on ISA, so that it can be done in
those cases where it won't let out magick smoke.  However, it will not
allow mixing of interrupt sharing types (EDGE, LEVEL, PULSE).  Rules are:

	- EDGE may share with EDGE

	- LEVEL may share with LEVEL

	- PULSE may share with nothing

PCI interrupt sharing works by virtue that all PCI interrupts are LEVEL.

Now, in this case, both types are EDGE.  However, the hardware clearly
does not work in this configuration, so one of the two devices should
be changed (probably the Ethernet card).

You can do this with the DOS config floppy that 3Com supplies, or I
have a program that might do it under NetBSD; send me mail if you want
this...