Subject: Re: Installation from CD-ROM.
To: Christofer C. Bell <cbell@ukans.edu>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@cyber.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/19/1998 08:27:25
In some mail I received from Christofer C. Bell, sie wrote

> Markus Illenseer wrote:
> >
> > > Firstly, what's the "correct" directory layout for a NetBSD CD-ROM if you
> > > want to install from CD ?
> >
> >  Simulate one large "boot floppy" by using El torrito should do the trick,
> > that's what I am preparing for my Gateway! Series.
>
> I think he's asking if there is a proper directory structure to hold the
> install files on the CD in addition to make the CD bootable.

Right.  I don't want to make /NetBSD-1.3 if sysinstall requires
/pub/NetBSD-1.3 on the CD.

> Since CDs have plenty of space, why not simply store the entire tree
> under whatever version of NetBSD you want to install?  With ncftp, you
> can grab the whole tree with something like:
>
> ftp> get -R NetBSD-1.3
>
> in the /pub/NetBSD directory on the ftp server.  I haven't played with
> the pre-packaged ftp that comes with 1.3 much so I can't help you with a
> simple command there.  Good luck!

So CD's should have a "/NETBSD-1.3", only in /, and then the ftp tree under
that, if they are to be used for installation ?  btw, the tree is almost
large enough to require 2 CD's...unless you can buy 80min recordable CD's ?

Darren