Subject: Re: Installation from CD-ROM.
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@cyber.com.au>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/18/1998 15:07:52
Darren Reed writes:

>> I think he's asking if there is a proper directory structure to hold the
>> install files on the CD in addition to make the CD bootable.

>Right.  I don't want to make /NetBSD-1.3 if sysinstall requires
>/pub/NetBSD-1.3 on the CD.

AFAIK, sysinst gets this wrong too :).  Those of us working on sysinst
never got good feedback from anyone acutally wanting to produce CDs.
I think the 1.3 release sysinst looks in /Release/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3.

Maybe the anticipation was that someone producing a CD distribution
would make sysinst use something sensible for their production.

I'd welcome feedback on what we should do here. It'd be nice if we
could pick a `standard' that would work for all ports, even if
multiboot CDs is not currently an option.  If it needs changing,
perhaps we can get a change into the next patch release.

If that fails you can always install from the CD (which is otherwise a
coaster), using the the "unmounted fs" option. Note that the
`directory' is the directory, relative to the root of the mounted-from
local filesystem (e.g., the CD) in which to find a release(7)
hierarchy.