Subject: Re: Goldstar 1610 VGA specs, for use with X server?
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/15/1998 13:13:08
On Sun, 15 Feb 1998, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
> Is there a way I can determine the information I need? The monitor isn't
> listed anywhere on the web that I can see, and it's not listed in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc either. The back of the monitor doesn't contain
> sufficiently detailed information - nothing about sync or refresh rates.

Maybe start with something standard like 640x480, 60Hz (XF86 should have
some sample modelines for that) and tweak it from there? How big is the
monitor? Do you know what resolutions it'll support? If it's a 14"
monitor, 800x600 is probably the most it'll do (with a 56Hz vertical
refresh rate, probably).

Without detailed specs, it's mostly trial and error... many years ago, I
helped a friend set up his XF86Config (over the internet, even :) Adjust
a few numbers, try it out, see if the image is too far to the left, too
tall, whatever, adjust numbers again, repeat :)
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 22 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++