Subject: atapi sd driver - yes, it works!
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/14/1998 16:15:30
If anyone was worried about LS-120 support, have no fear!  My drive
was defective.  I've replaced it, and I still get lots of "sd0: no disk
label" errors, but it works as a large sd0d, and it works just fine.

Special thanks go to Best Buy.  I got this there as an open box item.
It turned out to be defective.  More than a month later, without my receipt,
I asked if I could exchange it.  (I could show them my Best Buy card statement
with the transaction on it.)

They exchanged it.  Of course, they couldn't just exchange it for a new one -
so they opened one of the ones they had on the shelf, and exchanged me an
open box item for an open box item.  Clever!

Anyway, don't expect blinding speed from these, but it is faster than a
regular floppy, and, well, it's large and fairly cheap media.  I've replaced
the floppy in one of my machines with one; I don't know whether or not I
can boot NetBSD from that, but I'm sure I'll find out.

BTW, it turns out that the integration work was done sort of on behalf of
DEC, so I can't pay the bounty I was offering on the work.  :(  @!#*
corporations.  I guess I'll have to find something else I want to help fund.

Thanks to all involved!

-s