Subject: Re: Changing the NetBSD partition identifier ...
To: Robert.V.Baron <rvb@gluck.coda.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley585.res.iastate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/13/1998 09:01:02
>Occasionally I have the need to run two different OS's on one machine
>that both use the same 0xa5 (165) to identify the DOS partition, (for
>example NetBSD 1.2 and NetBSD 1.3 or NetBSD and FreeBSD).  Below I have
>included patches that let 0xa3 (163) be the "prefered" partition for
>NetBSD 1.3.  The booter and label code search first for a 163 paritition
>and then if they fail, for a 165 partition.

This doesn't seem like a bad idea. :)  I noticed that OpenBSD changed
theirs to 0xa6 as well.  Also, it seems that they increased the default
# of partitions you can have, which I find really nice.

Anyways, without these changes, how would one go about getting NetBSD,
and FreeBSD on the same disk?  (And bootable;)

Chris