Subject: Re: 1.3 + 3Com PCMCIA Etherlink problem
To: Sami Laine <lane@netti.fi>
From: Nathan J Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/12/1998 12:34:40
>I'm not sure if NetBSD detected my PCMCIA correctly, but it didn't detect
>3Com etherlink III PCMCIA ethernet adapter (adapter works with Windows NT on
>same laptop, so this seems to be detection issue, I guess).
>
>Boot message dump follows (it does look like PCI - PCMCIA bridge, I think):
>Omega Micro product 0x1221 (PCMCIA bridge, revision 0x02) at pci0 dev 13 function 0 not configured
>Omega Micro product 0x1221 (PCMCIA bridge, revision 0x02) at pci0 dev 14 function 0 not configured

	This is in fact the PCI incarnation of that PCMCIA controller
not being configured. The PCI pcic attachment doesn't really work as
yet. But if you keep reading...

>pcic0 at isa0 port 0x3e0-0x3e1 iomem 0xd0000-0xd3fff: using irq 5
>pcic0: controller 0 (Intel 82365SL Revision 1) has sockets A and B
>pcic0: controller 1 (Intel 82365SL Revision 1) has sockets A and B

	The controller also repsonds to the ISA defaults for a PCMCIA
controller, so the ISA pcic attachment finds it, and finds the card
sockets:

>pcmcia0 at pcic0 controller 0 socket 0
>pcmcia1 at pcic0 controller 0 socket 1
>pcmcia2 at pcic0 controller 1 socket 0
>pcmcia3 at pcic0 controller 1 socket 1

	So the problem is not that the kernel doesn't find the
controller or the slots; it's failing to find any cards in those
slots. The card is plugged in at boot time, right?

>Should kernel configuration file contain definition for PCI - PCMCIA bridge
>or is my mistake somewhere else?

	Nope, the problem is elsewhere. Try rebuilding with
"options PCMCIAVERBOSE" in the kernel config file. The kernel will
then go into more detail about what, if anything, it finds out about
the controller and the cards.

	Is this by chance a NEC Versa 2000-series machine? It's the
only machine I've run into with the Omega Micro pcic, and with good
reason - Omega Micro seems to be defunct, and couldn't be reached by
phone or in person when I was first trying to find the details of this
controller chip. I got a vague "It's supposed to be i82365 compatible"
from the nice NEC tech support people, but Intel doesn't publish the
manual for *that* anymore, either.....

	- Nathan