Subject: Re: 1.3 pcmcia
To: Robert.V.Baron <rvb@gluck.coda.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/10/1998 01:18:08
> Why 0x3c0.  It turns out that this machine is an IBM machine so it uses
> the lpt at 0x3bc-0x3bf.  So the next available loc is...  yex, 0x3c0.  I
> had to disable the lpt (no choise to use another port on this machine.)
> I'd be curious why the pcmcia system -- which seems rather familiar and
> otherwise comfortable to me is being to smart.

This is exactly the same problem that I had on my laptop.  The problem
was that the bus_space_alloc() implementation tried to glom on new
allocations to existing ones, which meant that if you had the lpt @
0x3bc configured and it probed in, your card would get mapped at
0x3c0, which is in the video chip's registers.

This is actually ~trivial to track down (or was for me 8-), once you
start looking into it.

This is fixed in -current, and hopefully will be pulled up for
inclusion in a patch release.

I dunno why the code might have been ignoring port range
specifications, but it's not like the code is particularly tricky in
that regard...

chris