Subject: 1.3 pcmcia
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert.V.Baron <rvb@gluck.coda.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/09/1998 23:00:00
Well, I've just had a pretty harrowing experience trying to get a 560X
to use a 3com pcmcia 3c589C card under 1.3.  Please tell me this has
been fixed.  The basic problem is that even though I'd set up an iobase
of 0x2a0 thru 0x300 for port allocation, the allocator would allocate at
0x3c0.  And after a lot of puzzlement I discovered that this was port
space owned by the neomagic video chip.  So touching it tended to mess
up the screen or reset the machine.

Why 0x3c0.  It turns out that this machine is an IBM machine so it uses
the lpt at 0x3bc-0x3bf.  So the next available loc is...  yex, 0x3c0.  I
had to disable the lpt (no choise to use another port on this machine.)
I'd be curious why the pcmcia system -- which seems rather familiar and
otherwise comfortable to me is being to smart.

Also, on the being too smart front.  Unless I set the pcmcia irq vector
(I like 0x8600), it uses irq3 for the pcmcia device interrupt.  I'd
really probably like to use that for a com interrupt.  (It probably is
not necessary on most pcmcia cards -- but who knows.)  (Also, my machine
will use irq for the on board sound so that is bad too.)