Subject: Re: 1.3: "Missing operating system"
To: None <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl, rvb@gluck.coda.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/09/1998 18:36:41
"Robert.V.Baron" <rvb@gluck.coda.cs.cmu.edu> wrote:
> I didn't do the math earlier.  If you disk is larger than 1Gig, look to
> see if the 1542 is new enough to support "disks > 1 gig".  If this
> option is enabled then the geometry is, 255 heads and 63 sectors.

It turns out this 1542 does have the  "disks > 1 gig" enabled, yet
the geometry is still 64 heads, 32 sectors.

And so I finally got the system to boot. It seems I had to run fdisk
from the ram disk, not from the hard disk itself, or any changes in
geometry would not "take". But setting the correct geometry and keeping
the NetBSD partition at offset 47, I did not have to re-install.

Another thing, this weekend I upgraded another machine from 1.2.1 to
1.3. It turned out the "install from unmounted partition" was different
from what I expected. It *was* mounted by the time it tried to mount it
again, causing lots of trouble. And no way to go back to pick another
option.  And it already had modified the disk by that time. So I fudged
some symlinks to get /mnt2 to point to /mnt/usr. By the time it got to
extracting the first files on (/mnt)/usr,  it had it mounted read-only.
Fortunately I caught that one quickly and only a few dozen files were
affected. Sigh.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert      D787B44DFC896063 4CBB95A5BD1DAA96
\X/ It's not easy having a good time    rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl