Subject: Re: Problems installing
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/08/1998 22:09:20
Hi,

One could debate endless on the best "method" for installing. I have done
several BSDI installs (from CD-ROM) and a few FreeBSD installs (both
CD-ROM and ftp).  The slickest installer is the BSDI installer, but then
again BSDI costs real $$$.  Actually, on the mac68k, the NetBSD install is
very straight forward.  I hope your has since converted her Mac to NetBSD
;->

Mark

On Sat, 7 Feb 1998, Ted Lemon wrote:

> > I don't see many new UN*X users sticking it out through the poorly
> > documented install procedure under NetBSD.  Then again, if the purpose is
> > to discourage newbies from using NetBSD, then that's another story ;->
>
> That's not really true.   The FreeBSD setup process is theoretically
> much more friendly than the NetBSD process, but in practice it isn't
> really - it works too hard to make things easy for the user, and
> sometimes gets things badly wrong.
>
> About a year ago, I was introducing a friend of mine to the wonders of
> Unix installs (she wasn't at all Unix-literate - the only other
> computer she'd used was a Mac).   I figured I'd start her with a
> FreeBSD install because it was "easier."   After about five tries, she
> gave up, so I handed her a NetBSD install floppy and had her read the
> INSTALL document.   She was able to get it installed and running on
> the first try.
>
> "Computer newbies" have had to go through complicated install
> processes to get their computers running for a very long time now, and
> they somehow manage to muddle through.   Clever, whizzy installs that
> hide the process from the user do make things easier if all goes well,
> but they are not a panacea, and careful attention should be given in
> their design to what to do if things don't go right during the
> install.
>
> Unfortunately, I would say that sysinst falls down as badly here as
> the FreeBSD installer, but I don't think it's a lot worse.   It's just
> a bit raw now, and needs some time to smooth off the rough edges.
>
> 			       _MelloN_

   Mark Andres               E-mail: mark@giganet.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
   Me & NetBSD: http://www2.giganet.net/~mark/NetBSD/