Subject: Re: cpp problem when compiling kernel
To: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/08/1998 06:43:05
Hi,

Thank you greatly for the excellent advice. I am borrowing the HP Vectra
while I gradually build my own PC over the next month or so. It came with
16MB of RAM and I could have sworn it was 60ns.  I added two 32MB SIMMs
that were also 60ns. Well, it turns out the original SIMMs were 70ns.
Once I popped them out, the problems disappeared.

Now, on to the fun of configuring XFree86.  Thanks again for the help.

Mark

On Sat, 7 Feb 1998, Mike Long wrote:

> >  cc: Internal compiler error: program cpp got fatal signal 11
> >
> >Of course, if I try to run a 'make' it immediately dies with the exact
> >same error.  Once again, this is the RELEASE version of 1.3.  Any hints?
> >If I can't compile a new kernel, the system is basically worthless. I did
> >manage to compile pine though.
>
> gcc makes a good memory tester, even if that isn't its primary
> purpose.  Usually SIGSEGVs in gcc indicate memory problems, especially
> if the error isn't repeatable (i.e. trying again works even though
> none of the environmental conditions have changed).  Try pulling and
> reseating all of the RAM on the motherboard.  If that doesn't do it,
> try swapping out SIMMs (or DIMMs or whatever else that machine uses)
> until you find the bad memory.
>
> Another possibility is that the machine may be overheating.  Make sure
> all vents are clear, ventilation fans are not clogged with dust, etc.

   Mark Andres               E-mail: mark@giganet.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
   Me & NetBSD: http://www2.giganet.net/~mark/NetBSD/