Subject: Re: [Q] recommending a laptop
To: Ken Wellsch <kwellsch@link.link-systems.com>
From: Robert.V.Baron <rvb@gluck.coda.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/06/1998 19:59:00
For completeness, let me document a few more problems with the 1.3 pcmcia
and 3com drivers on a 560X:

	1. When I try to run with a 3c589C the system just wedges.
	2. When I try to use a 3c562c, the system says it can not
	   allocate some IO thingy and does not bring up the interface.
	3. The 3c562c code tries to find the ether address by searching
           for a tuple "88" -- I could not find it by dumping the CIS
	   but the address can be found at the last 6 octets ending on
	   0x1ff (reading backwards).  It also is elsewhere.
	4. If you pop the 3c562 out and reinsert it, it finds ep2 and
	   com4 (and of course hangs).  The first time in it was ep1/com3.
	   Reinserting the card should not do this.
	5. IBM 560's AND 75X's do not pass IRQ5 from the pcmcia to the
	   motherboard.  ANY DEVICE THAT USES IRQ5 WILL NEVER GET INTERRUPTS.