Subject: Re: 1.3 install to PCMCIA-3 HD
To: port-i386@NetBSD.ORG <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Diller <dillera@protean.gse.upenn.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/06/1998 12:55:13
Andrew Diller wrote:

> I am trying to install 1.3 onto a PCMCIA hd in a laptop.
>
> I want to move the PCMCIA card to other machines, with NetBSD on it.
>
> The floppy installer detects some PCMCIA device (I can only see it flash
> by for a second before the menu comes up)
>
> but it dosen't see the card as a vaid HD target for install.
>
> Is there info about this??

-----
to answer my own question, and to ponder it:

i quess I have to--

* have a working 1.3 machine with PCMCIA i.e. laptop.
* put the type3 drive in the laptop.
* mount the drive and put a filesystem on it
* copy over the tarred filesets
* boot off of floppy and install from the tar sets.

THis is going into a PC110, the tiny Palmtop machine that is made by
IBM, but sold only in Japan. People have gotten Linux on this machine,
but I haven't heard about netbsd.

The problem is I have no floppy for the machine to boot from, so I am
hoping there is any way I can install bsd from a 'bigger' laptop with
the type3 hd in it (and a floppy to boot from), then move the installed
system over to the PC110 and boot.

-