Subject: Re: VIA VP2 chipset
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/05/1998 15:59:43
> > Also Motorola manufactures and sells ATX PowerPC motherboards that use
> > OpenFirmware:
>
> AFAIK, OpenFirmware is not an open standard, nor is it well
> documented, except in the same sense that the Open Software Foundation
> produced non-proprietary software.

You are incorrect in this regard.  OpenFirmware is IEEE 1275.

In fact, OFW is the first _non_-proprietary boot firmware, at least
according to FirmWorks (the provider of the best OFW implementation
i've seen).  Their page:

http://www.firmworks.com/www/ofw.htm

has some useful pointers to more information about OFW, including a
pointer to the IEEE 1275 working group's home page.

(Needless to say, my opinion of FirmWorks' implementation of is my own
opinion, and not to be interpreted as a statement of Digital's
opinion, if any, on the matter.  8-)

cgd