Subject: ASUS TX97 and floppies (was: Re: Freeze again)
To: None <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/04/1998 15:04:56
In article <19980203072037.44824@pyy.jmp.fi> you write:
> I'm running NetBSD 1.3 on ASUS TX97E motherboard with 64 MB RAM and 512 MB
[...]
> fdc0 at isa0 port 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2
> fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB, 80 cyl, 2 head, 18 sec

Interesting. I have a TX97-XEA machine running NetBSD. I get this dmesg
output:

fdc0 at isa0 port 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2
fd0 at fdc0 drive 1: density unknown

The floppy drive is a plain, generic drive connected as drive 0.  All of
the "wierd" floppy options (switch A&B, Japanese floppy support, etc)
are turned off in the BIOS. BIOS sees this drive as A:, but NetBSD is
seeing it as drive 1 instead of 0, and can't read the drive type.
As long as I make the config file attach fd* instead of fd0, it finds it
and it works fine (modulo wierd dmesg output), though.

Since it works, even if wierdly, it hasn't been a big priority to find
out the problem. I assumed perhaps it was something specific to this
motherboard, but your closely related model works fine...

Any ideas, anyone?