Subject: Re: Wireless LAN cards?
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/03/1998 13:14:01
>> Is there support for any wireless networking hardware, or plans to put
>> any support in?
>
>That's what STRIP seems to be. I'm not sure how complete the support is,
>although it sounds awfully neat. (I nearly shorted out my keyboard with
>my drooling, while I was reading about the system.)

We don't have ARP support over the STRIP encapsulation: the ARP
changes to support ARCnet were pending when I folded in the STRIP
driver.  See the manpage for strip(4).  And we don't have a Linux
procfs, so we don't have the procfs statistics from the Ricochet
radios.  Everything else is there, and I did interoperability tests
with Stuart Cheshire's code, and even helped debug Stuart's code.

(Well, more accurately, debug Linux design botches and bugs, like
misguided serial handling and not doing Nagle.)

I havent had a radio for some time, so I havent actually bashed on the
code since before Jason's mbuf changes and the ARP changes went in.
At that point it had everything Stuart's Linux driver did.

>I didn't think to save the URL, but the following AltaVista search will
>bring you to a very descriptive page done by Stuart Cheshire:
>
>+"STRIP is a protocol for carrying IP" +Starmode +Metricom

I'd guess it's probably under http://mosquitonet.stanford.edu/
If it's not there, there will definitely be a pointer.